Tuesday, August 4, 2009



An Angry Laughing Mouth

My mouth, it screams secrets to the world,
Telling of injustices and victories,
My voice angry sometimes, sometimes serene,
Yet always yelling.

How else to hear over the clamour of tongues?

My mouth, an angry mouth,
Telling of slicing and of ripping and tearing,
My voice strong and far-reaching,
Yet always yelling.

How else to drive words into ears that don't listen?

My mouth, a laughing mouth,
Telling of tricks and games and delights and joys,
My voice trembling on the cusp of hilarity,
Yet always yelling.

How else to be heard over raucous laughter?

Then came the surgeon's hand, cutting and silent,
Gashing a new mouth, prying it open, then stapling it closed,
All the while, silent, and silencing that which dared to hope,
Muffled unto the quiet of death.

And who was there to hear the sound of weeping?

now my mouth is a crying mouth,
whispering of treachery and lies and hopelessness,
my voice barely audible and my tears hot as stones
never yelling

who would listen to my words anyway?

8-4-09

No comments:

Post a Comment